Tuesday, January 4, 2011

We're Here!!!!

After a fantastic time in London and a long plane ride, we're here and we are humbled already by the hospitality of our South African friends.  Since reading a condensed version of Nelson Mandela's autobiography with my 7th grade Language Arts students four years ago, I have prayed for this day.  Today, my heart is full. 

Yesterday proved to be very special to me.  Ten years ago this past December, I joined the United Methodist Church.  As a Methodist, I delight in reading our church's history and the sermons of John Wesley.  We posed for a picture in front of Wesley's statue, where the inscription reads, "The World is My Parish."  When I think of traveling across the world and going from NYC to London to Johannesburg in such a short period of time, I ask myself what it means to live responsibly knowing God's call to share the love of Jesus with all whom we encounter.  I am confident that our time in S.A. will prove to be a time when we better understand how to faithfully answer this call through the examples of the pastors we have already met and those we will meet along the way.

Tomorrow the conference will begin and so our journey will continue...

Until next time,
Wendy 

P.S. Thanks Ash for financing my travels around London.  Next time it will be you and me on the J.W. tour (I'm SERIOUS)!!!!  Mom and Dad, I love you.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad y'all are there! I am excited for you all. We can't wait to hear more about what you are all learning there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to read your update. I will hold you to what you said! Praying for you all in your experience there! (And I have been loving the pictures that you guys are posting, too!)

    ReplyDelete