Saturday, January 1, 2011

And we're off...

By Emma

Although I am certain the entire class is experiencing some anxiety about traveling such a long distance and encountering such big adventures, my journey begins a little differently and with a different kind of nerves. As most of the class is traveling together to Pretoria, I set out on my own tomorrow afternoon. I will be flying by myself, getting to the conference by myself, and spending something like 12 hours by myself in Pretoria before everyone else arrives. I've been abroad before, but never on my own. I've flown by myself, but only ever from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and back, and let's be honest, that doesn't really count. I need my family for pretty much everything, as it is. My life is safe in it's bubble that stretches from Princeton to my home in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if the bubble can reach Cape Town.

In these final moments at home, while I am trying to work out my disaster of a packing situation, I think I should be more anxious. South Africa is really, really far from any where I have ever been. It will be absolutely nothing like anything I have ever experienced. That kind of uncertainty is giving me something far more powerful than fear and nerves. It has given me unbelievable excitement and hope. On the cusp of this great trip, and ironically at the start of a brand new year, I am realizing more and more that I am growing up. I am setting out on my own. The bubble that is my life is bursting, and that breath of fresh air is absolutely remarkable. Don't get me wrong, I am still a little nervous and I will miss my family and friends like no other, but I am increasingly convinced that God is leading me to wonderful and exciting places. I pray that I will continue to be open to what God is teaching me as I continue this bubble-bursting, growing up process. I know that the brothers and sisters we encounter in South Africa will have enormous things to share with all of us, and I thank God for this amazing opportunity. The adventure isn't really beginning, it is just continuing. We are being called further up and further in. Away we go!

Emma

2 comments: